Friday, July 17, 2009

Crying it out = Ripping my heart out

Last week at Sophie's check up the doctor said that Sophie needs to be sleeping through the night. (She was still waking up every 2 hrs) So for the past week we have been letting her cry it out. It has been AWFUL!!!! I hate every second of it! Her doctor sounded so confident that in "3-7 days" she would be sleeping great. Well, I knew that my stubborn daughter would probably take the full 7. However, last night was night 8 and I'm not seeing any signs of her sleeping through the night. I was doing ok with the crying, but now it is really starting to get to me. The whole week I have kept telling myself that this is the best thing for Sophie - like the doctor said - but as I was leaving her room just now I looked back -big mistake!!- and her little precious face was so upset. We are making progress though - that is what I have to keep reminding myself of...three months ago when I was letting her cry it out she wouldn't stop crying until I got her rather that was 5 minutes or 45 minutes. I guess she did just need a little extra security for those months - I read (in Babywise) that babies who suffer from acid reflux have a hard time establishing sleep patterns because they are constantly waking up because they are uncomfortable. The book went on to say that you should comfort them and then put them back to bed. This is probably where the problem started. Sophie became use to me comforting her back to sleep. Every time she woke up (which was usually every 2-3 hrs on a good night or 7-9 times on a bad night/every 20 minutes into her nap) I was there. I just keep replaying what the doctor said, "her immune system needs her to be sleeping through the night" Eeesh...it's not easy being a parent and from what I hear it's only going to get more difficult.

1 comment:

Recipes from the Lombard Clan said...

Hey Girl! I TOTALLY understand. It is so hard letting your baby cry it out. Ugh! I am so sorry you are going through that. I think you are more of a champ than her. Sophie will never remember this, but you, however, will. :( The good news is that you will have a baby sleeping through the night ASAP! Yay for all your hard work. Your an awesome mom!

Lindsey Mills