Thursday, August 20, 2009

At Last


I have posted several times about Sophie's sleeping. To be honest, it has been probably the most frustrating thing that I have faced with Sophie. I am a very by the book person. I follow the rules. Therefore, I thought that I could do the same thing with my children. Even though I "knew" that not every child is the same and if I had a nickel for every time I heard, "You can read all the books, but your child will never follow what they say" I would be one rich woman. So why is it that it is just now sinking in?! It just hit me that Sophie's sleeping is part of her. She will always struggle with it more than likely. A friend of mine has a daughter that is the same way. She never slept when she was a baby and still has problems. A couple of days ago they were watching Sophie and Madison told her mom that Sophie reminded her a lot of herself because she had such a hard time settling down. I think that Madison hit the nail on the head....Sophie has a hard time settling down! Bless her heart she just doesn't want to miss ANYTHING so she fights sleep as if it were the most horrible thing on earth. I have tried transitioning Sophie from play to sleep by singing to her while slow dancing. It helped but not very much. For the few that read this I would love any suggestions!

1 comment:

Jules said...

What happens if you lay her in the crib? Does she talk herself to sleep? That's what Judah does if we can't get him to wind down. I also craddle him and spin side to side. He has a hard time focusing and then close his eyes. We also play soft, slow worship music in Judah's room to soothe him. Those are my small tricks, but Judah is a sleeper, so I don't know....I guess it doesn't hurt to try. :) Love ya!