Friday, January 8, 2010

A few things I've learned in my First Year of Motherhood

I thought it neat to write down some things that I have learned in my first year of being a mother. I may have mentioned some in previous posts so I apologize in advance for being repetitive! Also, I know that these are the things that work for me, and may not work for others! Or I may have experienced motherhood one way and another experience it totally different! The thing I find so fascinating about sharing experiences is seeing all the different perspectives!

1) There is no way to describe the love you feel for your child! I was skimming through a book at my sister's and the author wrote she felt that the women who said they felt this instant, overwhelming love for their child were lying. I completely disagree with her! Maybe it wasn't this display of fireworks but more of a quiet awe-inspiring moment, but none the less it was powerful!

2) I remember sitting in my hospital bed and feeling this intense instinct of protection for Sophie. I can't even describe it except that I then knew why you don't mess with a Bear's cubs, ha! Or any other animal's babies! I once read an article about Angelina Jolie and she described her mother as a quiet person, but that if you messed with her children she was a lion! I understood exactly what that meant once I became a mother! Which brings me to my next lesson learned...

3) My child comes first (with the exception of God and my husband)! Outside of Joe, Sophie's needs take precedence over any one else! I know that this has made some people upset and made them think that my mothering is "weird", but my response to that is I stand before God for how I raise my children, not you! I have to answer to Him for the instincts He gives me. If I start ignoring His voice just to make some people happy then I'm disobeying Him and that's a dangerous place to be!

4) Motherhood is not glamorous! However, it is the most rewarding thing you will ever do!

5) Ten hours of sleep in a week WILL make you feel like you're crazy!

6) It's important to put on make up and "clean yourself up" everyday even if you're too tired! It just makes you feel better!

7) You're body will be different in some way...the quicker you come to terms with this the better off you'll be!

8) Some type of schedule is a must! At least for me! If I don't have one I feel unorganized and out of control! And it always comes out in my house if I'm off my schedule, ha!

9) You're child most likely won't be like the books so be open to finding out what works best for them! A book didn't carry your child for 9 months and doesn't know them like you do! So follow your instincts!

10) Your Jcrew sweaters WILL get spit up on them so invest in some cute burp clothes!

11) Don't buy "Dry Clean Only" clothes for when you're going to be around your baby! Because by the end of the night you WILL need to make a trip to the Dry Cleaners!

12) House work can wait if your child needs you! Trust me, it'll still be there when you come back to it!

13) Take time for yourself! If you don't you won't be any good for your child!

14) Get outside with your baby...if you stay inside you'll feel stir crazy and so will your baby!

ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSONS I HAVE LEARNED IS...surround yourself with "experienced" Moms that you trust and soak up as much knowledge from them as you can! Don't be afraid to ask questions from other moms! No use trying to figure this thing out all on your own!

6 comments:

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

#1-I think it's interesting how it's different for different people. I guess it's good to know both is "normal" since some feel that bond instantly and others don't.

#5-I'm scared to death of this part! I'm not good on no sleep :)

#10-hilarious!

Thanks for your insight! I love hearing advice on things I know nothing about from ppl. I love and trust!

The Quesenberry Family said...

You're right about #1!! I think I'll go back and clarify b/c it is different for everyone :)! I was trying to get that across but it didn't come out that way :)

And about the no sleep thing...I'm HORRIBLE at it too and even now if she's up once or twice a night I'm dead! It's funny how your body does accomadate what you have to do!

Mike McConnell said...

Great reflections, Sara! #9 is my favorite!!

Mike McConnell said...

obvs, this is me, your sister, not your bro-in-law. I'm on his laptop! :)

My Lil' Cupcake Boutique said...

It is amazing how much one grows the first year of a child's life!

Erica said...

How fun to read your mother-hood observations. I wish people blogged on these things more often, so all of us non-moms won't be "surprised" when we have our own kids!! :)