Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Home Sweet Home


Joe and I are official home owners! YAY! We could not be more excited!! We are so proud of our home! We had our closing appointment at 4pm yesterday. Sorry that I do not have pictures. Joe would not let me ask them to take a picture of us signing our papers. I did want to capture the moment, but apparently that was too much. Side note…do you ever have moments when you are like, “Oh my word, I AM turning into my mother”? I had one of those yesterdays. Both my parents are fanatics about taking pictures, but my mom is the one that is always taking them at what I thought at the moment was an embarrassing time. However, now I realize that she just wanted to remember that moment. What we looked like, what we were wearing, etc. I realized then that I would be doing the same thing to my children that my mother did to us and I will love every second of it. Luckily, I do not mind that I am like my mother, and I see more and more every day just how much I am! Back to my story…We were finished by 5:15 and headed to Plant City. Of course all of our family came with us to the house. I did break out my camera for when we walked in to our house for the first time as the owners. As you can see in the picture above Joe put the key in the lock, we stopped and took a picture, went to turn the key and it did not work. They had given us the wrong key. Talk about anti-climatic! My brother-in-law shouted out, “Welcome to being a homeowner”. Luckily, the back sliding glass door was open so we still were able to get in. I can not wait to have a house that is back in order. We have been living out of boxes for the past week and a half since they had to push back our closing date.
My mother-in-law had told me that becoming one with your husband is not something that happens at the wedding. It is something that takes time, effort, and life to do. This made sense to me then, but even more now. For me marriage is such a huge concept that even at the beginning of ours I was still looking at him and thinking, “We are married. That is my husband. Wow.” It was so much to absorb. For me it has been certain events, fights that we worked through, and actions that we communicated to each other that made the fact that Joe and I more concrete. Buying a home with Joe has really made me feel more one with him. I mean I can not up and leave now. For the record, I was not planning on it. Our lives are becoming more weaved together. For so long it was his stuff and my stuff that we brought together. Now we are starting to have our stuff. Since I lived in our apartment for so many months by myself when he moved in it felt more like he was moving into my place. So this is our first home that we will be moving in together. I would love to hear what my married friends think about this; if they went through these feelings/realizations as well or if it was more all at once for them.

3 comments:

Erica said...

First of all, congrats on the new place! That's great, and I can't wait to come see it when I come to FL! Secondly, I completely agree with you that becoming one was definitely not an "instant" thing. In fact, this is going to sound terrible, but I used to think you get married, and then all of a sudden you won't think other guys are good looking and everything just kind of falls into place in one big happy love story! Obviously that's not the case! I am starting to realize that as much as I love Chris and always have, our marriage is definitely based more on our commitment to God and each other than how we sometimes "feel". When we first got married, it was more of emotion. Now it is so much more, and it has definitely taken the disagreements and day to day life to get that. Anyways, I agree. :) Loved the post!

Anonymous said...

Ha, the first thing I thought when I saw your post (but before I read it) was: "Why didn't they take more pictures??" hahaha. We are BOTH becoming like Mom. Mike gives me a hard time about it, too, but I don't regret any of the photos I've taken -- only the ones I haven't! :) And some I am sooo glad that I insisted on taking, like the one with us with the pregnancy test when we first found out we were pregnant... priceless!
anyhoo, you look beautiful, that's a great top, I couldn't even see your bump until I clicked on the pic to enlarge it! Congrats on the house, I am so proud of you!
also, yes, I totally agree about the process of becoming one. And it was probably a few months into our marriage when I realized what people mean about their spouse being their best friend. Now I need to know what Mike thinks about everything. As Hugh Grant told Sandra Bullock on Two Weeks Notice: "Before you came into my life, I could make all kinds of decisions. Now I'm addicted. I have to know what you think."

vramey said...

I am sooooo proud of both of you girls. It is the highest form of compliment--"you are just like your Mom!" Now I miss you so much. Mom